PROJECT CONTROL SPECIALIST
SALARY: $60,904.00 - $76,130.00 Annually
OPENING DATE: 04/14/17
CLOSING DATE: 04/30/17, 5:00 PM
Under general direction, performs professional duties involved in serving as technical expert for project control functions for assigned contracts and projects including budget development, monitoring and reporting, contract/project set up, establishment of WBSs, account codes, rules and cost allocations, developing and reporting of accruals, invoice processing, requisition and change order preparation and processing; and staff utilization and project progress reporting for the monthly and quarterly progress reports. Participates in project/contract risk assessment, mitigation, control, and reporting. Develops and provides training on project control policies and procedures; serves as technical advisor to assigned project managers on project controls systems, policies and procedures; participates on committees evaluating financial management system modifications/process updates and provides training to internal staff and project consultants in use of financial management systems; provides guidance and coordinates work activities with other project control staff assigned to assist in meeting project progress, monitoring and reporting requirements; and coordinates activities with outside agencies, contractors, and consultants as necessary.
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
• Administers project control functions for small to medium size projects and contracts as assigned; develops a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for new projects, and as projects evolve, based on established standards and guidelines; develops appropriate account assignment for all WBS elements and coordinates with budget and finance for review, and setup of new WBS elements and accounts; reviews reports for correct setup of new WBS elements and accounts. Monitors use of accounts and recommend corrections when necessary.
• Assists and coordinates with the project team for assigned projects through the project baselining process and ensures all requirements are met and required documents are prepared to support the base lining of a project. Prepares and presents project baseline project control information to the Executive Director. Supports project managers/directors in the preparation of baseline documents required for other approvals (i.e. Phase Gate, Sound Transit Board).
• Administers construction and professional services contracts as assigned including contract setup, progress payment processing and review for compliance with contract terms; development WBSs and assignment of account coding and Grant ID's and entry of contract costs into Contract Manager System (Primavera Contract Manager); monitoring project performance against plan; provides progress reporting relative to planned data; provide variance analysis and forecasts cost to complete;. participates in project/contract risk assessment, mitigation, control, and reporting.
• Performs change control management; gathers change documentation including independent cost estimate (ICE), scope, cost proposal/estimate, and change control board (CCB) change request, reviews and validates scope of work, assembles change order for internal processing, evaluates change requests and ensures appropriate approvals are obtained; reports on progress and provides analysis of associated risks for trend reporting;; tracks changes in Contract Manager System and coordinates with consultants and contractor's as needed to ensure contract compliance; establishes cost exhibit to accurately reflect task work breakdowns; sets up schedule of values/bid items in Primavera Contract Manager and develops allocation or distribution rules for accurate accounting of costs against the contract.
• Utilizes an Earned Value Management System (EVMS) to analyze contract/project performance metrics including cost and schedule variances, and estimate at completion, and provide narrative report in accordance with the project controls policies and procedures. Present results to manager/supervisor and the project manager/ director.
• Participates in the planning, procurement negotiation, and set up of new contracts; , develops a work breakdown system (WBS) based on specific project/contract requirements, creates account codes and rules, and routes requisition to obtain PO ; and interfaces with project manager, coordinator.
• Reviews, tracks, and forecasts project costs; tracks contract budgets at a task level; reviews contract payments and prepares cost reports; reviews reports for overruns to working budget; reports overruns and/or potential overruns for corrective action; forecasts estimate for completion (EFC) by phase and documents variances; tracks potential change orders and trends in Contract Manager System.
• Provides support for the development of project budgets and annual spending plans/cash flows including preparing budget worksheets, documenting budget assumptions validating actual expenses, performing variance analyses, forecasting, and updating forecasts for estimated cost to complete.
• Runs capital program cost reports from Agency financial management/reporting systems and reviews variances to budget ; identifies budget overruns to the Project Director/Manager; reports variances to Manager/Supervisor, .
• Troubleshoots miscellaneous issues related to project and contract administration including status of contract/project , Purchase Order (PO) status, and account code discrepancies; provides guidance on project control policies and procedures, responds to requests for project control support provides training and support as needed on functionality of Agency contract management database (Contract Manager System)and project control policies and procedures; performs variance report analysis for project management; and supports Change Control Board and Phase Gate processes for the project manager.
• Provides support to the division/department and others on matters as directed; serves on committees as assigned; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence; attends and participates in professional group meetings; maintains awareness of new trends and developments in project controls ; incorporates new developments as appropriate; ensures processes, policies and practices are interpreted and applied consistently and effectively; ensures accountability and compliance with all current and applicable state and federal laws, Agency policies and procedures, rules and regulations.